Christopher Edwards is a partner in the firm’s Labour and Employment group. A graduate of Queen’s Law School, he joined Templeman Menninga LLP after practicing for several years at one of Canada’s largest law firms. Christopher has extensive experience providing strategic advice and representation to employers in all areas of labour relations, employment law and human rights, including the legal implications of corporate transactions such as mergers and acquisitions, executive employment arrangements, union organizing campaigns and workplace compliance issues such as those arising under the Employment Standards Act, the Human Rights Code and occupational health and safety legislation. He is regularly retained by large international corporations to strategically advise on laws relating to Canadian divisions or offices.
Christopher regularly represents employers in collective bargaining negotiations. He has considerable sector experience in Fire and Rescue and emergency services. Christopher is regularly retained by employers to act as the Chair of bargaining teams for large municipal clients and is called upon across the Province to offer strategic advice to bargaining teams. He also represents municipal and other public sector essential service employers, as counsel, in interest arbitration proceedings. His work, particularly in the Fire and Rescue sector, has resulted in cetain leading decisions impacting the future direction of bargaining and certification rights in the Province.
A seasoned litigator, Christopher appears before labour boards, human rights tribunals and arbitrators appointed under collective agreements. In addition, he regularly appears before the Courts, including the Superior Court of Justice, the Tax Court of Canada, the Federal Court, the Ontario Court of Appeal and before the Ontario Court of Justice in matters of Occupational Health and Safety. In addition to his labour practice, Christopher is frequently called upon to act in complex commercial and insurance litigation matters and has conducted numerous trials in the Superior Court of Justice.
Christopher is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association, the County of Carleton Law Association and the Frontenac Law Association. He is the Past President of the Frontenac Law Association and has sat as a member of the governing Council to the Ontario Bar Association. In November 2014, Christopher became the East Region Representative on the executive of the County and Law District Presidents Association.
- Service Employees’ International Union, Local 1 Canada v Specialty Care Trillium Centre, 2016 CanLII 23212 (ON LA)
- McGivern v DLK Insurance, 2016 ONSC 6230 (CanLII)
- Kingston Professional Firefighters Association v Kingston (City), 2012 CanLII 58628 (ON LA)
- 1425445 Ontario Ltd. v. I.B.E.W., Local 636, 2012 CarswellOnt 2775, 2010 INSC 1946
- Hunter & Boyd v. Godin & Mallette& UCCO(2012) ONSC 4774
- Duplessis v. Canada, 2004 FC 154 (CanLII)
- Christian Labour Association of Canada v. Port Hope (Municipality), 2005 CanLII 17814 (ON LRB)
- Gibson v. Labourers’ International Union of North America, Local 247, 2011 CanLII 19649 (ON LRB)
- Holmes v. Kingston (City), 2009 CanLII 22556 (ON SC)
- Kingston (City) v Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 109, 2011 CanLII 50313 (ON LA)
- Walker v. Trow Consulting Engineers Hydrologists and Planners Kingston, 2007 CanLII 35297 (ON SC)
- Jackson v. Canada (Attorney General), 2006 CanLII 32311 (ON CA)
- United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America, Local 397 v. Zanette & Almeida Plastering Company Limited, 2012 CanLII 19699 (ON LRB)
- Vance v. CHUM Ltd. (c.o.b. City TV)
- Hotel Employees, Restaurant Employees Union, Local 75 v. Ontario Jockey Club (Szelba Grievance)
- Corporation of the City of Kingston and Kingston Professional Fire Fighters Association, Local 498 (2013)
- Her Majesty the Queen in Right of the Province of Ontario as represented by the Minister of Labour v. Splinter Family Rentals Co. and Michael Villeneuve (2014)
- Hunter v. Thompson Electric Ltd.
- Women’s Christian Association of London, McCormick Home v Serivce Employees International Union, Local 220, 2000 CanLII 29457 (ON LA)
- Brown v. Township of Ignace, 2010 ONSC348 (CanLII)
- Brigden v. Deputy Head (Correctional Service of Canada), 2012 PSLRB 92 (CanLII)
- Burnbrae Farms Limited v. Canada (Canadian Food Inspection Agency), 2014 FC 957